birding-aus

Archive / Personal details

Subject: Archive / Personal details
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:35:03 +1000
Hi everyone

I'd like to remind everyone that all birding-aus messages get saved on the
World Wide Web at our archive:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/

It was set up 11 years ago by Andrew Taylor, who has been incredibly generous
with his time to run it and keep it ticking over. Some people read Birding-Aus
via the archive rather than subscribing, and many members and non-members have
benefitted from the wealth of data it stores.

I'd like to suggest that if you have your home address in your email signature
that you omit it when sending birding-aus messages.  In most email programs
(e.g. Outlook, Eudora, Entourage) you can set up different signatures for your
account and select the one you want each time you send a message.
It's probably a good idea to omit your home phone number as well - but it's
really up to each contributor.  I don't know of any birders being cyberstalked
(!) but I was a little concerned by some recent messages that described a trip
away or extended birding holiday  - with the sender's home address at the
bottom! (or on the archive)

So please consider having just your name, town/suburb and email address at the
end of your message - and remember that anything sent to birding-aus becomes
part of that massive tangle of spaghetti we call the Internet!

Cheers

Russell

---
Russell Woodford