birding-aus

Silver Gull Hybrids?

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Silver Gull Hybrids?
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:48:11 +1000
The following is a link to a photo of a Gull that Alistair took on the
Wollongong Pelagic:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/evanbb/def51473.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a Silver Gull, but I wonder if there's more to it. Do
they hybridise with the Black-Headed Gulls? Or is it some sort of
sub-species. I remember, even as a youngster watching the seagulls and
noticing an occasional bird that was pretty much a SIlver Gull, except a
little bit different; in particular a shorter deeper red beak. My suspicion
is that, like Fer Pigeons, they breed so prolifically and haphazardly that
the odd mutation must occur, and that these will often involve the
expression of a 'set' of genes; like the red-checker and blue-checker
pigeons. Any thoughts or corrections?

Evan

--
Evan Beaver