birding-aus

Thanks to Aussie Birders

Subject: Thanks to Aussie Birders
From: "mike catsis" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:13:14 +0000
Dear All

Having just returned to the mother country I would like to publicly acknowledge my thanks via the list to all those who helped to make my first ( and definitely not last) birding trip to Oz so memorable and , birdwise , so profitable .

Firstly to Carol Probets who was so generous in helping me plan my first leg in the capertee valley....I searched high and low for those regents but sadly in vain ...perhaps just a little too early .

To Peter Waanders with whom I journeyed into the interior from Adelaide to the Flinders Ranges and southern Strzelecki track ....a great trip on which we recorded , amongst others , banded stilt , slender-billed thornbill , chestnut-breasted whiteface , short-tailed , thick-billed and eyrean grasswrens , cinnamon quail-thrush , ground cuckooshrike, gibberbird, elegant parrot and square-tailed kite as highlights.

To Simon Starr for an outstanding Mallee trip in NW Vic. with highlights being swift parrot , black-chinned honeyeater, chestnut quail thrush , regent parrot , mallee emuwren , striated grasswren , pink cockatoo , spotted harrier and black-eared cuckoo .

( by the way I totally recommend both Peter and Simon as birding guides in their respective patches )...

....and last , but not least , to Richard Nowotny for his very generous hospitality in Melbourne ( sorry about disrupting your friday night footy match ) and his beautifully choreographed saturday morning birding tour to Werribee where we scored an outstanding 13 out of a possible list of 18 or so potential lifers for me including blue-winged parrot and freckled duck and finally red-necked phalarope ...one of my biggest bogey birds !.....see you soon Richard .

Perhaps my most interesting record of all my birding sorties on this trip was an adult banded honeyeater in uluru resort on 30th July ....I realised afterwards on reading the field guide how out of range this record is and later from the atlas how few records there are of this species so far south....however this is an easy bird to identify , even for a visitor , and I am in no doubt about its identity .

Once more many thanks to one and all for a great trip and many fond memories ..

Mike