birding-aus

RFI: Strzelecki Track condition

To: "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>
Subject: RFI: Strzelecki Track condition
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:59:35 +1000
While most would steer clear of a Hyundai Getz while travelling, I
myself found it to be quite a reliable, quite comfortable car while
travelling from Perth inland through Cue to Port Headland and then south
back to Perth along the coast. While the poor thing came back orange
rather than the light blue it left as, the car happily took on dirt
roads, corrugations, sea spray and mining trucks!

The key thing is to make sure your hire company allows travel off formed
public roads. Then it's up to your interpretation as to whether this
means sealed or unsealed. The interpretation there is usually clarified
a couple of pages later, after you have bounced along for a while,
observed numerous Orange Chats but missed the Banded Whiteface which was
why you were driving down the public, but unsealed track.

Back to birding, I have recently moved north from Deniliquin to
Griffith. Our new abode, although being across the road from tall tanks
of a winery, has provided every morning so far a natural alarm clock in
a pair of Pied Butcherbirds, a pair of Black-winged Kite and Kestrel
both nesting within a short (200m) walk and Variegated Fairy-wrens and
Singing Honeyeaters along the roadside veg.

Cheers
David Parker
Griffith, NSW