birding-aus

Heron using bait for fishing

To: "'Carl Clifford'" <>, "'Birds (E-mail)'" <>
Subject: Heron using bait for fishing
From: "Rex & Jan Fisher" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:06:08 +1000
Not a case of a heron using bait, but a couple of years ago I used to
regularly see a Striated Heron using floating debris or vegetation to extend
its feeding range into deeper water. It was in the Brisbane River between
Jindalee and Mt Ommaney where, when the tide is high, the river forms an
eddy. The first time I saw it I wondered how come the water was so shallow
that a Striated Heron could be walking around so far out from the bank. With
binoculars I then saw that it was actually sitting on a floating log and was
therefore able to hunt in water far deeper than its legs would allow. It was
a successful technique as on several occasions I saw it catch fish by diving
off its floating perch, which may have also acted as a fish attracting
device. The bird may still be there. The site can be accessed from the
riverside walk between Jindalee and Mt Ommaney, the eddy sets up just to the
south of the old quarried area below the board walk entrance at the Jindalee
end.

Regards Rex