birding-aus

Help with a Raptor ID?

To: Evan Beaver <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Help with a Raptor ID?
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:04:35 +1000 (EST)
Evan,

  Probably a Wedge-tailed Eagle as the tail can appear squarish at certain
angles (i.e. 'wedge' not always obvious). You'd probably notice the fork in the
tail if it was a Black Kite (and I wouldn't say that Square-taile Kites are
common on the eastern slopes around Sydney at any time of year).

  The 'dollars' could put it in the Little Eagle ball park.

  But I think I'm banking on a Wedgie.

  Mick

Evan Beaver <> wrote:
  Good morning all,

A raptor flew through yesterday while I was back verandah birding and I'm
wondering if you wouldn't mind sorting through the info I've got to see if
I've missed anything.
I live on the escarpment at Lapstone, in the Blue Mountains. It is well
vegetated suburbia not far from a river and Blue Mountains NP. The birds in
question flew through just after 2, behind a row of trees so I couldn't get
a great look at it. It was big and dark, roughly the size and shape of a
YTBC, with a longish tail, wings thinnest at the carpals, thickening to the
spread primaries. Flapping style was also reminiscent of a YTBC, long lazy
strokes causing the plane of the body to rock back and forth. Unable to get
the bins onto it all I can tell about the plumage was that it was generally
dark, black in parts, with pale wing spots on the underside near the
primaries, like dollars. It flew through below tree top height, weaving
between the trees trying to shake the team of Magpies and Currawongs that
were pursuing. Whenever one got too close it would roll over onto it's back
and display it's talons, then roll back in the opposite direction. The tip
of the tail appeared square from behind, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've read all the literature I have and can't quite decide. My first
impression was Square Tail Kite, since we get them regularly in Autumn, and
the tail appeared square. The odd time of year and this quote from Steve
Dubus "Square-tailed Kites get mobbed mercilessly, but I've yet to see one
try to snatch an attacker." Seem to count against it. The other option is a
Black Kite, but again unlikely due to it's solitarity and not being common
on the eastern slopes.

Any takers?

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW

On Yahoo!7
  360°: Your own space to share what you want with who you want!