birding-aus

Peteron Nganjmirra

Subject: Peteron Nganjmirra
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:51:10 +1000
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow, a regular contributor from the Top End, has asked
me to pass on the very sad news that her indigenous son, Peteron Nganjmirra,
died last week, following a heart attack.

Peterson, with other traditional owners, was instrumental in starting the Baby
Dreaming sustainable tourism project, and declaring part of their country as a
birdwatching sanctuary. There will be a memorial service on Thursday (17th) at
which Peterson will be acknowledged as the first indigienous man to recognise
the importance of birdwatching in Arnhem Land.  He was responsible for several
traditional owners agreeing to stop hunting on their best billabong so that it
could be used by birdwatchers.

Further information about the memorial service and about Baby Dreaming can be
obtained by contacting Denise through her website at
http://www.denisegoodfellow.com

I'd like to pass on our condolences to Denise and her community during this
difficult time.

---
Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner