birding-aus

Striated Heron and Buff Banded Rail Questions

Subject: Striated Heron and Buff Banded Rail Questions
From: "jade welch" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:39:29 +1000
G'day All,

Yesterday I took a trip to the botanical gardens in the city of Brisbane with my girlfriend (a definite non birder) masking my secret desire to do some birding whilst I was there. Of the few species I was able to sit and watch, two sightings proved to be interesting. The first was a Buff-banded Rail which I snuck off to see and photograph which seemed to be picking at an unknown substance. The substance was possibly bat guano. Could anyone identify what the substance is if I send them the photos? If it is bat guano would the bird be eating the seeds in it or eating the little insects and flies gathering around and on the substance?

The other interesting sighting was of a Striated Heron in the Mangroves on the way to the gardens. The bird in question had interesting colouration and I was wondering if someone could help me out by identifying whether the colouration of this bird is normal or an aberrant type of plumage. If anyone could help please email me privately thank you.

Yours Sincerely
Mr Jade Welch
Gold Coast,
Queensland