birding-aus

Swift Parrot at Royal Park (5th and 7th tees)

Subject: Swift Parrot at Royal Park (5th and 7th tees)
From: Matthew <>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:47:31 +1000
Tim also ran into me at Royal Park (very nice to meet you Tim!) on his bike while I was out having another look for the pale headed rosella. He told me about the Swift Parrot so I did a U turn and walked back up the path to the 5th tee and sure enough I saw one. I was telling Tim that I thought I might have seen one in a similar spot last week but I couldnt be sure as I didnt get much of a gig before it flew off and I didnt have my noculars. Definately a Swift Parrot is what I saw this time, another tick! I might not have to leave the inner city of Melbourne to see most species at this rate. I also attempted a photo with my little canon ixus500 digital, but the 3 times zoom then after that the digital zoom didint do many favours. Here are the photos if anyone wants a look anyways but the bird is mostly in silouette cause this camera is not up for the job.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~laconic26/mypic3.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~laconic26/mypic4.jpg

I remedied this though for next time because I ended up in the city and splashed out on a new pentax digital SLR! (My girlfriend is gonna kill me!) But got it relatively cheap, I went in looking for a telephoto lens for my old 35mm SLR and the guy had a really nice second hand one for sale for $180 then I asked about digital and (suprise suprise) he had a pentax that fitted the same lens, so I bought a new SLR digital body and a 100 to 300 telphoto secondhand that turns into a 150 to 450 telephoto on a digital body! I came back to Royal Park and reeled off a whole lot of megabytes, but didnt see the Swift this time. Will look again later this afternoon weather permitting.
PS havent seen the pale headed today....yet!
Matthew