birding-aus

Trip Report - Central Coast NSW to Birdsville Qld and return 6-26/7/06

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report - Central Coast NSW to Birdsville Qld and return 6-26/7/06
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:46:13 +1000
CENTRAL COAST NSW TO BIRDSVILLE QLD & RETURN VIA BOULIA & WINTON 6-26 JULY 2006

Together with my wife and friend Mike Kuhl, we made the trip to Birdsville for the purpose of birding enroute and to celebrate my son's 25th birthday with him in Birdsville, where he is the Manager of the Warrari Information Centre. Mike travelled from the Central Coast via Gilgandra and the Macquarie Marshes, while we travel via Crescent Head, Burren Junction and Walgett, meeting up together in Bourke. From Bourke we stayed at Cunnamulla on Ian & Julie Maclean's property "Bowra", then via Charleville, Quilpie, Windorah to Birdsville. Conditions in north-west NSw were not bad as some recent rains had fallen but from Bourke to Birdsville Qld, conditions were very droughtified. However once we reached 22 km south of Windorah things changed as cyclones in north Queensland earlier in the year had done a big dump into the catchment of the Coopers Creek, so that floodwaters had spead out over the Coopers Channel country and everything was lush and green, either side of Windorah.

It was here that we saw Budgerigars, Brown & Rufous Songlarks, Crimsons & Orange Chats, Singing Bushlarks, Brolgas, woodswallows, egrets, spoonbills, herons etc. But 20 kms west of Windorah, we were back to drought and desert conditions as we moved onto Birdsville. For three days, we spent checking out the area around Birdsville including the Big Red Dune, south to Goyders Lagoon and north to the Wadi Tree Reserve. The Diamentenia River at Birdsville was not in flood as its catchment missed out on the major rains caused by the cyclones however, Eyre Creek to the west was in flood, especially at Cuttaburra Crossing between Birdsville and Bedouie.On the 3rd day of stay in Birdsville there were strong SE winds and a dust storm which was heralding a big change from the west. The night before we were due to leave Birdsville, up to 50 mm of rain fell across the Region, closing all roads and flooding many creek crossings. This rain was very widespread across inland Australia, Western and Central Queensland, northern South Australian and north-western NSW, in some places 50-70 mm of rain fell, and for some the most rain in in period for the past 6 years. We therefore were stranded in Birdsville for another 3 days as were many other travellers. However it was during our enforced stay in Birdsville that I added another bird to my Australian List, a Yellow Chat at the Birdsville Bore. The Yellow Chat was there feeding in the small wetland created by the bore, with Crimson and Orange Chats and Pipits feeding in the gibber country right along side. On the Birdsville Lagoon throughout this time, were 4 Avocets, up to 18 Black-winged Stilts, 2 Red-kneed Dotterels, 22 Pink-ears, 18 Hardheads, 1 Australian Shelduck, and a few of the more common waterbirds. Eyrean Grasswrens, White-backed Swallows and Banded Whiteface were seen out at Big & Little Red Dunes by our party and others.

We returned eventually via Bedourie, Boulia, Winton, Bladensberg NP, Longreach, Charleville, Coonabrabran and home, seeing over 173 species.

Highlights of our trip included:

* 3 Little Button-Quail near Marra Hall, Macquarie Marshes NSW 7/7/2006 (Mike Kuhl) * Red-tailed Black Cockatoos at Nortons Rest Camp, Walgett, Bogan River Crossing & at Bourke NSW 8/7/2006
*    80 Red-tailed Black Cockatoo Bourke STW 8/7/2006 (Mike Kuhl)
*    2 Spotted Nightjars at Bowra HSD Cunnamulla Qld 9/7/2006
*    2 White-browed Treecreepers at Bowra HSD Cunnamulla 9/7/2006
*    2 seperate parties of Slaty-backed Thornbills, Bowra HSD 9/7/2006
*    1 Black-eared Cuckoo Bowra HSD Cunnamulla 9/7/2006
*    Chirruping Wedge-bill 180 km SE Windorah 10/7/2006
* 2 Brolga at Coopers Crossing, 12 km SE Windorah 10/07/06, more between Bedourie & Boulia 15/7
*    12 Major Mitchell Cockatoos 12 km W of Windorah 11/07/06
* 2 Gibber Chats & 2 Australian Pratincoles 28 km west of Windorah 11/07/06
*    Gibber Chats at 41 & 60 km W of Windorah 11/07/06
*    4 Red-necked Avocets, Birdsville Lagoon 11-14/7/06
*    2 Cinnamon Quail-thrush, the Wadi Trees, 12 km N of Birdsville 11/07/06
* 2 parties of Eyrean Grasswrens at both Big & Little Red Dunes 12-14/7/06 * 6 Banded Whiteface Big Red Dune 38 km W of Birdsville 12-14/7/06 (Mike Kuhl and Don Howarth) * 1 Chirruping Wedge-bill Pelican waterhole, South Australia, 96 km S of Birdsville 13/7/06
*    Owlet-Nightjar at Andrewlla Waterhole SA, 89 Km S of Birdsville13/07/06
*    Yellow Chat at Birdsville Bore 14/7/06
* Musk Duck, Caspian Tern, Yellow & Royal Spoonbill in the Cuttaburra Channel, Eyre Creek, 90 km S of Bedourie 15/7 * 2 Inland Dotterel, 29 km S of Boulia & 2 50 km E of Diamentenia Crossing, west of Winton 17/7/06 (M.Kuhl)
*    12 Bustards 50 km E of Boulia 18/7/06
* Black Falcon, Red-backed Kingfisher and Budgerigars at Macunda Ck east of Middleton 18/7/06
*    Black-breasted Buzzard near the park entrance to Bladensberg NP 19/7/06
* 40+ Painted Firetail, Ringneck Parrot (Cloncurry Parrot) & Grey-headed Honeyeater Baldenberg NP * 80 Spinifex Pigeons 82 km W of Winton 11/7 & 18 at Winton STW Qld 19/7/06 * 2 Brolga at Munadoo Bridge, on Marra Creek, western Macquarie Marshes NSW 21/7/06

More information is available on request direct to me

Alan Morris