birding-aus

The Minitwitch - an invitation

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: The Minitwitch - an invitation
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:45:26 +1000 (EST)
To any birders out there who might be interested,

  I am organising a miniature version of the 24hr Twitchathon held later in the
year, known as the 'Minitwitch'. The rules are simple, in fact they are pretty
much identical to the 'main event', except that the times are from 8am to 1pm
and is to be held on Sunday 27th August.

  Teams can go wherever they like within the 5hr timeframe, but must have a
designated finishing point (i.e. you can't just knock off at 1pm wherever you
are, it needs to be pre-determined - the Hunter teams finish at Centennial
Park, Newcastle). This is something that we have been running in the Hunter for
a few years now, so I thought I'd put in out to Birding-aus to see if any teams
from other areas may be interested. So far there are 3 or 4 teams from the
Hunter, one from Dubbo and possibly one from around Brisbane. It would be
fascinating to compare results between the different areas. Maybe Evan could
field a team in Sydney?

  The "Square-tailed Quites" are the current record-holders with 138 species,
set in February this year. We are not expecting scores like this during winter,
but a score well over 100 is realistic.

  Importantly, this is a purely-for-fun exercise and in no way whatsoever is
attempting to undo / outshine any interest in the fundraising event held later
in the year. Indeed, I hope that it may generate some interest in 'bird racing'
that may bridge further interest to the main event (which we regularly compete
in, and raise good funds for).

  The 5hrs allows you to get out on a Sundee morning and find lots of different
species in a small area - it really does get you thinking as there's no room
for complacency in such a short period of time.

  If anyone out there might be interested, drop me an email and I'll give you
more details.

  Kind regards,

  Mick Roderick