birding-aus

Northern Shoveler, other mid-north coast bits and Corvids

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Northern Shoveler, other mid-north coast bits and Corvids
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:34:55 +1000 (EST)
 Hi all,

  As Alan has reported (via Ken Shingleton), the Northern Shoveler was still
present on Sunday morning (30/07) and thru to the afternoon at the location
described by Alan in that message. Myself and Allan Richardson travelled up
there from Newcastle that day and saw the bird at the Bellimbopinni spot.
However, for the most part it was not close to the road, but on the other side
of the river bend, close to a muddy / sandy bank about 300m away where it was
associating with other Shovelers. Ken informed us that it had actually flown
away for a brief time before returning to this spot (always with the other
Shovelers). Although it was quite a distance away, it is an obvious bird,
discernable through binoculars (although a scope is highly recommended). No
decent views could be had of the female birds to ascertain if he had company of
his own ilk.

  On a sadder note, a Southern Giant Petrel that had been released at Trial Bay
the same morning (following being beach-washed a couple of days earlier) was
resting on the beach, much to the bemusement of the local beach bums. The bird
did not look in good health and the local ranger was apparently on his way to
make the second rescue of the individual.

  Also of interest was a Noisy Pitta at the Harrington Rainforest and
Double-banded Plovers, Eastern Curlew, Whimbrel and Bar-tailed Godwits in the
estuary there.

  My 2 bobs worth on the Corvids - I have seen Forest Ravens regularly around
Forster / Tuncurry, mainly around the estuary areas, but also on the beaches.
We had a few Forest Ravens near South West Rocks on Sunday and a single bird
heard calling at the Bellimbopinni spot, which Ken tells me is unusual as there
is a distinct gap between the very coastal Forest Ravens and the population in
the New England.

  Alan Stuart might know more on this subject, but my impression of Corvids in
the Hunter is that whilst Aussie Ravens dominate generally, Torresian Crows
appear to be expanding south (and are regularly reported at the Shortland
Wetlands Centre nowadays) and are common around Dungog and the Barrington
footslopes as well as north from Tea Gardens / Hawks Nest. Little Ravens are
semi-regularly reported from Wingen / Scone / Moonan Flat whereas other records
come from the Denman to Merriwa region (I recently saw a big flock near Sandy
Hollow).

  Mick