birding-aus

Weekend Birding, Richmond/Castlereagh

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Weekend Birding, Richmond/Castlereagh
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:19:52 +1000
Good afternoon fellow birdos, just a few notes on my weekend birding.

Kicked some goals in the Richmond/Castlereagh with 2 days of good birding.
Canvassed what felt like the whole of Castlereagh Reserve on Saturday
afternoon with Graham Turner, looking for Owlet-Nightjar. None were
forthcoming, despite checking out 60 trees with promising hollows. Did
finally solve my Fairy Martin problem, (thanks to Chris Brandis for pointing
out the unlikelihood of Fairy's last week, we were certain this week). Not
much to report from what was a fairly quiet day in the reserve, apart from
good looks at some interesting birds. Watched a Common Bronzy waddle in and
out of shadow for a few minutes, gaining a deeper appreciation of what I had
previously thought a dumpy and uninspiring pigeon. Also of note were
sensational views of both Little and Wedge-Tailed Eagles circling and
banking low over the reserve. Interesting non-avians included a Red-Belly
Black-Snake (which I was too close too; Graham wished he was closer) and a
Lace Monitor, sunning itself near the top of a River Red Gum.

Sunday again bought sensational weather and a new plan. A good mate of mine,
Simon, had been flirting with the idea of getting serious about birding, all
he needed were some bins. Belted down the hill to Penrith, picked up a good
pair of Bushnell 10x50s then headed back up the hill for his first bird.
Turns out the Glossies I saw on Wednesday were still pottering around the
Springwood cemetry; Simon was well chuffed with his first tick. It's been
hard for me not to begrudge him the ease with which he found these
magnificent birds.

An afternoon trip, again with GT, bought more good birds, and 4 lifers for
me. Concentrating on the wet bits around Richmond we came up with a great
crop of waders, ducks and raptors. Bird of the day easily goes to the
Nankeen Night Heron found roosting near Pughs Lagoon. Add that to the
Spotless Crake last week and this dodgy little lake has turned up some real
beauties in recent weeks. I'll be back there. Also good were Black Fronted
Dotterel, Red Knee Dotterel and Richards Pipit. A lone Grey Goshawk
completed a sturdy list of raptors for the weekend. A good weekend all
round. Saw 70 species in 4 hours of furious birding, leaving Simon's head
spinning. Come on Spring, I'm ready for some waders....

Evan

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW