birding-aus

Swimming Rainbow Lorikeet

To: <>
Subject: Swimming Rainbow Lorikeet
From: "Crawford" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:43:20 +1000
Today I was on Coochiemudlo Island ,Queensland and noticed a rainbow lorikeet
swimming towards the beach there using a buutterfly stroke. It bobbed up and
down at each stroke. It pulled itself onto the beach and was too waterlogged
for 3 or 4 minutes to fly as a few inquisitive people came to it to see if it
was injured. It had missing from its chest some feathers and may possibly have
been forced into the water. It flew for a few metres and then a greater
distance and as it was doing so without any sign of injury I ceased to observe
it.I think the observation is unusual so pass it on.

Bruce Crawford