birding-aus

Nesting shorebirds and window strike

Subject: Nesting shorebirds and window strike
From: Mike Jarman <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:23:16 +1000
Hi All

Just letting you know that the NSW south coast shorebird recovery newsletter is
now available on line.  Read about you favourite nesting shorebirds and their
antics over the 2005/2006 nesting season.  Check out the great work that
volunteers have done on the south coast to help curb the decline of Hooded
Plovers, Pied Oystercatchers and Little Terns (not really shorebirds, I know).

www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/PDFs/south_coast_shorebird_newsletter_may06.pdf

Thank you to all those who responded to my request for information on creative
ways to prevent window strike.  I have taken up the suggestion of placing fly
screen on all the windows.  The clarity of the view is reduced but the sound of
birds thumping against the windows (making the heart drop) no longer occurs.

cheers

mike