birding-aus

WTP In Winter in Werribee

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: WTP In Winter in Werribee
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:34:19 +1000
After   an early morning fog we set out for another of of our very regular
trips to the Plant.
It was the day of small birds.
We started at Kirk Point, the tide was a low as I have ever seen it,  Black,
Little Black and Pied Cormorants were on the rocks closest to the water,
Silver Gulls in great number were further around. There were many Superb
Wrens jumping about, then just as we were leaving a family of Zebra Finch
flew into one of the few remaining trees at the Point.  It was obvious they
were building a nest, we watched for a time and Doug hopes he has a couple
of good photo.  Then a couple of Calamanthus hopped up on the dead weeds,
followed by the Cisticolas.
As we made out way into the Plant proper there were a couple of
White-fronted Chats and many Welcome Swallows.  We went around to have lunch
in the Hide, as we approached a very large raptor landed on the roof, soon
to take off and settle out on the sand, a Wedged-tailed Eagle, now that is
not a small bird!
Out on the sand there were many little Red-necked Stints, Red- capped and
Double-Banded Plover. As were made our way to the Borrow Pits there were
Goldfinches eating the tops of some nettles and a few Silvereyes looking on.

The Songlarks were soaring, the White-browed Scrubwrens were skulking.
The Glossy Ibis in the afternoon sun were beautifully iridescent.
Of course there were raptors, ducks, swans, pelicans etc but the 'small
birds ' seemed to dominate.
Another great day in our part of the world.

Shirley Cameron
Werribee
3030