birding-aus

Magpie-Goose heading to roost in Brisbane

To: "Tim Murphy" <>
Subject: Magpie-Goose heading to roost in Brisbane
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:04:11 +1000
Perhaps they roost on the way out to Fisherman's Island. I remember seeing the odd one perched in a tree out that way.

Regards, Laurie

On Monday, July 24, 2006, at 07:43  PM, Tim Murphy wrote:

This evening I counted between 300 to 400 Magpie Geese flying overhead at Sandy Camp Road Wetland Reserve, Brisbane. They were flying south to north (expect for one excentric which was flying in the opposite direction - we joked that it had remembered that it had left the iron on). This seems a
fairly large number for Brisbane - maybe the drought?

My question is, does anyone know where they roost, and where they would have
been  during the day?

Tim Murphy

PS. Sandy Camp wetland reserve is a new reserve for Brisbane - so new that it has not been opened yet (planned for Aust 2006) and planting, landscaping and final clean up is still proceeding. It is on Sandy Camp Road (surprise) in Wynum West. Lytton. (UBD 142. P16). It is a small reserve which looks like it will be a buffer between Iona College and a new industrial estate. I
have a tentative bird list now of 66 from various people - including
Spotless Crake. Once the summer rains have come (if?) it could become very
good site.