birding-aus

Best Fieldguide

Subject: Best Fieldguide
From: "Graham Etherington" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:51:51 +1000
Bob and all,
I'm afraid I can't agree. I'd like know what makes you say the
emphasis of this field guide is too much on Britain (at the expense of
the rest of Europe). Although I don't have my Collins Bird Guide to
hand, I don't recall the British birds getting more coverage in the
book than non-British birds. Of the authors/illustrators, only one is
British (Peter Grant, who has sadly passed away since publishing the
book), and the book was, as you correctly pointed out, originally
written in Swedish - hardly a good angle to capture the British
market. Also, over emphasising British birds in a field guide would
make the book less attractive to British birders, as most of them know
their birds really well and demand more information on birds that
occur infrequently in Britain, i.e. European mainland and
Middle-Eastern birds.
As far as having further information on distribution, well I suppose
that's a matter of opinion. In my view I consider this a fairly
essential attribute. For example, try sitting down and looking at
Simpson and Day. Look at the distribution plates and then ask yourself
"Do these birds really occur in my area?". There are lots of birds
given as occurring around Brisbane in the S+D distribution maps that
don't occur here, even in suitable habitat.
Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Cheers,
Graham