birding-aus

Barren Grounds RFI

To: "Whittaker, Mark" <>
Subject: Barren Grounds RFI
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:48:33 +1000
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:41:39PM +1000, Whittaker, Mark wrote:
> I'm heading down to Barren Grounds, south of Sydney, on the weekend and was
> hoping to get some directions on where best to look for eastern bristlebirds
> and ground parrots.
> I've tried searching the archive, but it keeps timing me out.
> Is winter a bad time to go to see these birds? Do Bristlebirds call in July?

The archive isn't handling multi-word searches currently.  It maybe a few
days before I can fix it.  If wading through the results from a search
for "barren" is too painful, you could try a google search specifying
site:bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au

4 weeks ago I had a Bristlebird almost walk over my foot about 50 m down
the on the service trail which runs west and downhill from near the lodge.
Sometimes Bristlebirds can be easy to see on the first ~2 kms of the
track to Cook's Nose.  Ground Parrots can be heard calling from this
service trail or the Cook's Nose track.  Seeing one is another matter.
Volunteering for the annual survey is supposed to be a good way to
see one.

Andrew