birding-aus

Best Fieldguide

To: "Sue & Phil Gregory" <>
Subject: Best Fieldguide
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:36:53 +0800
ABSOLUTELY! The Collins "Fieldguide to the Birds of Britain and Europe" is THE DEFINITIVE fieldguide and would serve well as a model of how to do a guide here. Given the quality of the plates and text in HANZAB, I would think it would be relatively simple process to transcribe these into a volume...and very profitable for the authors. If these fieldguides are done well, they sell internationally. Many people overseas will buy them in lieu of visiting Australia or as a reference. I suspect thousands would sell very fast - but only if it was a high quality publication. I have no doubt however that this can be done with just a few extra illustrations and the odd re-illustration.

Regards,

Simon.