birding-aus

Taxonomy (and the purpose of Species names)

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Taxonomy (and the purpose of Species names)
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:15:36 +1000
I think I understand the thrust of all this, not being an attentive biology
student, but I'd always thought species  determination was easy; everything
else was race. The determination of species was whether or not they could
mate and produce fertile off spring. Thus all dogs are of the same species
and of different race, ditto for humans. That doesn't narrow the bird field
very much, but it would mean that say Black Eared Miner and Noisy Miner are
both the same bird, but with regional race variations. This does all seem to
be outrageous semantics, which I'm not opposed to, but I guess it's
inportant from some perspectives.