birding-aus

Spangled Drongo's.

Subject: Spangled Drongo's.
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:56:24 +1000 (EST)
Marty,

  Although it is not Sydney, we have Drongo's in Newcastle only during winter,
presumably where some birds unusually spend their non-breeding time. Most
references I have seen say that birds south from around the Nambucca area
(Macksville, Namubucca Heads) are non-breeding winter migrants. Some birds are
recorded outside of these times - I remember well, literally in the dying
minutes of the 2002 Twitchathon (which is at the end of October), there was a
lone Drongo sitting on the TV aerial of the wetlands centre, very much a bonus
bird for those teams finishing there that day (that noticed it!).

  In the city of Newcastle they seem to occur in the leafy suburbs where there
are plenty of fig trees around.

  Mick

 wrote:
  Just a quick question regarding Spangled Drongo's in Sydney. I recently moved
from the western suburbs (Penrith) to Panania (Bankstown Area) and on the first
day I saw a Spangled Drongo in my street. Is this unusual for this area or for
this time of year? I've never noticed them in Sydney before.

Regards,
Marty.

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture,
Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of
the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for
viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.
Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure,
dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking
of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission
together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a
valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one
advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence
which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF