birding-aus

RE: New Zealand Oystercatchers

To: "Dam Lamb" <>, "Bill Jolly" <>, <>, <>
Subject: RE: New Zealand Oystercatchers
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:13:33 +1000
I also use Clements but take the liberty of sometimes changing the English
name to the common one used in the place I first saw it. Thus I have Indian
Silberbill, rather than White-throated Munia. I use it as a referee, not as
a Bible.

When one looks at a mess like the Hering Gull complex,  one is brought face
to face with the fact that species formation is an ongoing process and that
there can often be no clear answer to the question of one species or two.
For a researcher to come down and to give an answer to such questions tells
us far more about his arrogance (or need to publish something) than about
the correct answer.

BTW. I gather a Sixth Edition of Clements is being  published, as James
Clements had just about finsihed it before he died. I gather the Cornell
will publish it late this year.

Tim Murphy