birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing injury

To: Birding-aus <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing injury
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:18:30 +1000
As there has been some speculation about the provenience of the GHL, and its injury I thought I'd add my speculation.

I reckon it reverse migrated to Burren Junction, and was looking around for some nice marshy fields to land in. It landed on what looked to fit the bill, but unfortunately on landing the bird alighted in a patch of bindis. Evolution had never prepared it for the fearsomeness of Australian bindis and it received the injury that has been noted.

It would be interesting to compare the toughness of the feet of Australian ground-dwelling birds versus non-Australian ground-dwelling birds.

John L

--
John Leonard
Canberra