birding-aus

[Re: [Birding-Aus] PDAs and HANZAB

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: [Re: [Birding-Aus] PDAs and HANZAB
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:23:17 +1000
Simon Mustoe wrote:
... the CDs of bird calls are great and gradually improve and are simple
to change to MP3.

Something to be aware of with MP3 encoding is that in order to obtain
the significant file size reductions, some of the information contained
in the original recording is discarded.  This is done by applying a
psychoacoustic model - essentially deciding what is and isn't important
to _human_ hearing in the original data.

How birds perceive MP3 recordings of bird song is difficult to answer.
I experimented with this while in FNQ earlier this year, with mixed
results, partly due to the modest speaker in my Palm Zire 72.
Some birds seemed to react to the recordings, while many ignored them.
The birds that did react may have reacted in the same way to pishing...
What was useful was being able to listen to and compare calls in the
field.