birding-aus

Upcomming trip sept/dec 2006 to Australia

Subject: Upcomming trip sept/dec 2006 to Australia
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 14:19:53 EDT
Dear Australian Birdwatchers,

My return to Australia for the last circle of special birds will take place
from 1 September to 2 December, I'm really looking forward to visit the country
of the Socceroos again (sorry Guus could not lead you to the final, but we
Dutch where even more worst…). My fourth time and hopefully this visit I can
connect with some species I missed the previous times. Hopefully I can get into
the top 100 of Australia…. (Now at 555 species on mainland Australia).

I will travel with my girlfriend (both a cultural and a birding trip, to keep
us both satisfied) from 7 September from Perth south to 2People's Bay
(any-one recent information about the Whipbird and Scrubbird?)(And where I
could find
both Black-cockatoos) and some sea-watching at Cape Leeuwin via the Nullabor
(hopefully Nullabor Quail Thrush at the roadhouse) towards Port Augusta
(hopefully the Arid Botanical Gardens will turn up Chirruping Wedgebills). Then
we
headed south towards Melbourne via the Great Ocean Route (to find hopefully
some-where Beautiful Firetail (suggestions?), Rufous Bristlebird,
Chestnut-rumped
Hylacola (where should I look), and Striated Calamanthus (where do I stand a
chance?). I will spend some time Eltham to look some-where for Sooty Owl and
Powerful (suggestions?). Then I head to Waikerie, and throw myself in the hands
of Peter Waanders….. For here I head up north, try the surroundings of Alice
Springs to find my 3 previous misses Painted Finch, Dusky Grasswren and
Rufous-crowned Emu-wren (any-one suggestions where to find them…). From here up
Katherine (and try to nail down some-where an Gouldian Finch (previous missed
at Timber Creek)), from here up to Darwin to hopefully connect to a Chestnut
Rail (despite living for 3 months here, and a return 3 years ago, still not
seen, is Buffaloo Creek the best spot?), then to Kakadu to search once again to
the White-throated Grasswren (previously I searched the left side on to of the
waterfall, but as I heard this is not the right side, are they always connected
with spinifex clumps, and how thick do these clumps have to be….). From here
up to Borroloola to search for the macgillivrayi race from Purple-crowned
Fairy (any-one suggestions where to search around this place….). From here we
head
towards Bob Forsyth's town of Mt Isa and hopefully to connect this time with
the Kalkadoon Grasswren. The to Cairns where I meet the spotlighting wizard
Alan Gillanders and hopefully we can find some species like Shining and Gould's
Bronze-cuckoo, yellow-breasted Boatbill, Blue-faced Parrot-finch (any other
localities are very much appreciated). From here we travel south and hopefully
around Coffs Harbour we can find some-where a Relict Raven (any tips?), then
towards Sydney via Canberra (Origma, Turquoise Parrot and Spotted Quail-thrush
hopefully some-where, but please any info is welcome). And the towards Tasmania
for an eight day trip, try to connect here with the endemics, but hopefully
some-one could provided some tips for Swamp Quail, White fronted Tern and some
precise places for the Ground Parrots at Strahan, and for an Masked Owl? And
we finally leave at 1 December at Sydney airport.

My further questions are:
* Australian Bittern where could be a reliable spot? I know at Tolderol there
is a fair chance but more clues?
* Painted Button Quail, and clues, missed them at Deniliquin, Chiltern in the
past... where do I got a good chance? Same for Red-chested Button-quail.
* Painted Snipe, what would be a good location to try at?
* What is the best spot in WA for Rock Parrot, from Perth to the south?
* Red-rumped Swallow (ore striated Swallow as it is split) is it already in
the north at the end of November at Newell Beach?)
* Flame Robin, still not seen this robin?
* Any-one an idea where to locate the whitei subspecies of the Crested Shrike
Tit?
* White-eared Monarch, where could I see this bird?
* Is there a chance to find Slaty-backed Thornbill around Alice Springs?
* Any-one a recent spot for Red-eared Finch?
* At Alice Springs where I can find Western Bowerbird

I gratefully appreciate any tips you could give me about any of these birds.
Hopefully the trip is a success in both ways cultural and birding technical.
Reply's can be privatly at

Best regards,

Justin Jansen

Justin Jansen