birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing

To: "Edwin Vella" <>,
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:27:36 +1000
Absolutely. The Red-backed Kingfisher recently found just north of
Brisbane is surely a classic example? Found further west this can't be
the only one (so far as I am aware) in the last 5 or 6 years to have
moved this far east to be found in a new (rural type) housing
development! And I still can't get over the no of wagtails seen south of
the Qld border yet none ever seem to be picked up here, (Brisbane area)
Would you overlook a wagtail? I don't think so! A RB King maybe - but a
wagtail? As others have pointed out -  there's a lot of ground out there
with very few birders to cover it.
I've got a bit lost as to who actually found the GHL? Were they locals
or travelling birders? Wow!! - it must have been so exciting to realise
you had something so unusual! I envy the adrenaline rush you must have
had! Did you id it straight away or ???
Hoping it's still there at the end of the week, I'm a bit worried about
this Black Falcon reported in the area..... difficult to 'tick' a pile
of feathers!
Does anyone know if there's a camping ground in Burren Junction?

Cheers
Colin