birding-aus

Re Noisy miners

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re Noisy miners
From: "kfp" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:09:01 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time 2006)

Hi Brian

Maybe the Spotted Dove was near their nest. I doubt that they would have
physically killed it. We could actually learn a lot from the Noisy Miners,
as they take a great 'community and caring' role in raising chicks. Just one
huge extended family. I like to think of them as vigilantes of the bird
world here at Buttaba. Only the other day  a mob of Noisy's tried to
intimidate a Kookaburra. They failed, but they tried twice. Yet I've seen
them hang around Magpies, Spotted Doves etc  with out an issue.

They may be 'out of control' but again that's our fault. I believe it's
called survival of the fittest. We change the environment, the strong
survive and make the most of it, the smaller and weaker disappear.
Something to think about with future developments.. Like I mentioned before,
they live in Buttaba and on my patch they are one of the permanent residents
 Less than 1km away, in the bush, there are amazing amount of bird life, the
little birds. Just beautiful!! It will sadden me greatly when the bush goes.
DEVELOPMENT!!!

Robyn