birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing

Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing
From: "R Clarke" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:40:33 +1000
Thanks Keith,
This is a very good point. The bird is far more wary than a typical masked lapwing. When we located it on Sunday (the first sightings since Karen and Brett Davis' fantastic discovery on the 19th) I assumed it would be as settled as the Masked Lapwings so approached on foot. When I was about 30m distant and sitting down out of sight, the bird took flight and flew across town. To say I was concerned about what I had done to other peoples chances would be an understatement! To my relief we rapidly relocated it feeding in a gutter in Hastings Street and it moved of its own accord back the grassy area near the silos. Since then most other observers have had similar experiences and I am told it flew almost 2 km on one occasion on Monday.

The lesson here is pack a scope and give it far more space than you would a Masked Lapwing. Most people that are trying for it are driving great distances (a car load left from Adelaide this morning) so think of the bird and future visiting birders before getting too close.

Incidentally, this is shaping up to be a pretty big twitch by Australian standards. The local paper covering the Burren Junction area is going to run a story on it and I offered to pass on a bit of background (the sighting/the context/the birders). I'd be interested to hear from people that went for it after Sunday so that I can pass on a rough tally of the number of extra visitors that Burren Junction has received as a result of this cracking bird.

Cheers,

Rohan Clarke