birding-aus

Seawatch from North Head, Sydney 24 June

To: <>
Subject: Seawatch from North Head, Sydney 24 June
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:08:38 +1000
Hi all
having a few hours to use yesterday afternoon (between dropping off and
fetching my kids from an event), I did a seawatch from North Head in Sydney
between 1:45 and 4:15pm yesterday (Sat 24 June).  I was interested to see
what was about, given reports from last weekend, but the wind was blowing
from onshore, so I suspect that many of the more interesting types had
drifted back out - I had one or two far off "brown" birds but nothing close
enough to ID other than as a petrel (even with my scope's magnification up
at full blast), certainly no giant petrels and nothing that appeared to be
grey and white (so no prions or non-brown petrels).  There were quite a few
albatross about, and plenty of gannets.

Best bird sightings were:
- 1 Wandering Albatross in close (just off Bluefish Point)
- good numbers of Black Browed Albatross, often coming right in between
South & North Heads
- a raft of about 150-200 Fluttering Shearwaters just off North Head, mostly
loafing with seagulls except when a big shoal of large fish (tailor?) came
up and were feeding
- at least 2 White Fronted Tern in with the Shearwaters.

I did see a good number of whales, making their way slowly north (my tip -
just look for the whale watching boats as a starting reference point!),
including several waving flippers and tail flukes quite vigorously.
Cheers
Tom Wilson