birding-aus

RE: birding-aus Digest, Vol 3, Issue 21

To: <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus Digest, Vol 3, Issue 21
From: "Gordon and Pam Cain" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:35:36 +1000
The Macquarie Dictionary gives similar etymologies, though not in as much
detail, ironically for an Australian word.

It gives quarrion as being of the Wiradhuri (=Wiradjuri, I suppose)
language, between the Lachlan and Macquarie Rivers.

It does not even list Weiro.

Morris' 1989 Dictionary of Austral English lists only cockatiel of the
three, with a similar Malay etymology, though claiming cockatiel to be the
diminutive of cockatoo.

Gordon Cain
Schofields (Blacktown) NW Sydney

Message: 20