birding-aus

Capertee Birds

To: <>
Subject: Capertee Birds
From: "Timothy Hyde" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:47:20 +1000
Hello Birders,

'Better late than never' bird report from the Capertee Valley. Mon/Tues 5/6
June.
I picked up a friend for a trip to the Valley and a sleep over. Leaving the
Blue Mountains cloaked in mist and raining, we got to the bottom of Victoria
Pass and decided to take Browns Gap Rd. through to Lithgow , a few k's along
(before the Collits Inn turn off)  we saw an Emu in a paddock on our right.
Yes I said Emu, Don't ask me how it got there!

On to Lithgow , through The Wang, to Portland, still raining and bitterly
cold, Nice toastie sandwich at the cake shop, fueled up at Capertee and down
into the Valley ,(so far our count is 1 emu) Still raining and the road very
slippery so eyes on the road not on the birds, pull into our gate, time to
get down to some birding. A pair of Speckled Warblers were foraging on the
ground in front of us White-plumed, White-naped, Brown-headed Honeyeaters,
Red Wattlebird, Noisy Miner, Little and Musk Lorikeets were all feeding on
flowering White Box along with 3 Regent Honeyeaters, (on our second day we
counted 8 Regents, one in particular was hawking insects ,there was a lot of
bees on the flower) Diamond Firetail, Double-barred, Finch, Red-browed
Finch, a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles, White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike, Hooded
and Yellow Robins, Jacky Winter, White Brower Babbler, Superb Fairy Wren,
Crested Pigeon Common Bronzwing Peaceful Dove, Eastern & Crimson Rosella.
King & Red-rumped Parrots, Gang Gang, Welcome Swallow, Pied Currawong Pied
Butcherbird, Magpie, Magpie Lark & Willy Wagtail. Were all enjoying the long
awaited rain.

Our most unusual sighting was a small Insectivorous Bat flying around the
dam  (at around 2pm ) It was a little larger than a Welcome Swallow that was
around at the same time, it was dipping in for a drink the same way as the
swallow, it stayed around for 4-5 minuets.

On the way out of the valley on Tuesday we saw a juvenile flock of over
150-200 Magpies in the paddocks on both sides of the road at a property
called Glen View (A couple k's Rylstone side of Glen Alice Church.)
The Valley has great birding at this time of the year, get in your car and
do it.

Lynda Hyde