birding-aus

Inverell & Ashford 5-8 Jue 2006

To: <>
Subject: Inverell & Ashford 5-8 Jue 2006
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:35:46 +1000
A VISIT TO THE INVERELL & ASHFORD DISTRICTS 5-8 JUNE 2006

Following on from a report from Peter Johnson that he had seen a Squatter Pigeon on the Ashford-Texas Rd in northern NSW on 15 May 2006, Alan McBride and myself travelled there to see if we could relocate the bird(s). The last confirmed sighting of a Squatter Pigeon in NSW was in 1978 near Bingara, but there was another report in 2001 near Bebo SF which is north of the Yetman-Texas Rd, and about 60 km NW of where Peter had reported the bird. In the 1970s the Squatter Pigeons were reported from the Inverell, Gilgai, Ashford,Barraba and Bingara areas, all on the NSW north-west slopes. Unfortunately on our trip we were unable to locate any Squatter Pigeons although conditions looked right for the bird, and as a result of good seasonal conditions over summer there was plenty of grass cover throughout the area.

We had fine weather throughout out our trip. We travelled via the New England Highway to Tamworth and then the along the Fossikers Way through Barrabra and Bingara, and then across to Delungra, Ashord and back to Inverell on the first day. We saw 7 Wedge-tailed Eagles between Branxton and Muswellbrook, a Black Kite at Aberdeen, a Hobby at the Manilla River bridge, Manilla, and a lone Plum-headed Finch at Andersons Ck Barraba, a well known site for them.

An early start saw us birding around Inverell Lake on 6/6, seeing 39 species in half an hour including a pair of White-bellied Cuckoo- Shrikes, a Sea-eagle and Little Friarbirds, some White Box was in flower as it was elsewhere in the area and for the next three days we saw and heard Musk & Rainbow Lorikeets wherever we stopped, but no Swift Parrots!. Then off along the inverell-Ashford Rd, and finding Black-chinned Honeyeaters near Bukulla. A morning tea break at the Severn River Bridge, 5km N of Ashford on the Texas Rd found a flock of 150+ Plum-headed Finches, Red-browed Finches and more Black-chinned Honeyeaters. At the spot that to us seemed most suitable for the Squatter Pigeon, about 24 km N of Ashford (Peter thought that the site was about 20 km N of Ashford but that location was in pretty open country whereas a few kms along you were back into a Grassy Box Woodland, which continued through to Bonshaw, another 20 km along the road), we search regularly over the next two days. While we saw no Squatter Pigeons we did find Peaceful Dove, Diamong Firetail, Common Bronzewing, Bar-shouldered Doves and Crested Pigeon. Hooded & Yellow Robin, more Plum-heads, 2 groups of Turquoise Parrots, Jacky Winters and more White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes in this area. Around Bonshaw we had calling Western and White-throated Gerygones on the same branch, and on the Bonshaw-Yetman Rd, good views of Speckled Warblers and Inland Thornbills. At the Bonshaw Weir crossing of the Dumeresq River, there were Double-bars, Plum-headed Finches, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Restless Flycatcher & Sea-Eagle.

We stayed over at Texas QLD and next morning found 2A+2J Black-winged Stilts on Texas Lagoon. We looped around the roads leading to Atholwood and Camp Creek, and found more Diamond Firetails, Hooded Robin, Turquoise Parrot, and also Southern White-face, Pale-headed Rosellas and Red-capped Robins. We drifted into Yetman for a snack and saw a Brown Goshawk circling over the Village, Double-bars, Zerba Finches, Rufous Whistler, Brown Greygone and House Sparrows in the gardnes and street trees. We then retraced our steps back to Bonshaw, Ashford, Graman and Bukulla, seeing nothingh new although a Spotted Harrier at Bukulla and another Hobby at the Squatter Pigeon site, were good views. At the end of the day instead of staying at Inverell we went south-east to Uralla instead.

By 7.30 am on 8/6 we were out birding at Dangars Lagoon, Uralla where the Temp was 1 degrees and fog covered the Lagoon. But gradually the fog lifted, the sun came out and we had a chilly time around the Lagoon. Here we saw plenty of Shoveler and Pinkears, plenty of Black Ducks & Wood Ducks, 16 Black-fronted & 1 Red-kneed Dotterel, a lone Musk Duck and a pair of Whistling Kites as well as the usual other waterbirds. We returned via Tamnworth and the New England Highway andt at Wallabadah, we had great views of a Wedge-tailed gliding low over the Highway being dived at by a Peregrine. At the Lake Liddell Boat Ramp, we checked out the water birds and found a lone Great Crested Grebe amongst the many Coots.

Alan Morris