birding-aus

Peregrine V Red-rump

Subject: Peregrine V Red-rump
From: "Grant Cowell" <>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:45:21 +0900
re. "awesome sight"

These aren't recent, but two awesome sights in my birding experiences
are:

Seeing a Wedge-tailed Eagle stoop onto a mob of kangaroos which were
moving alongside the dingo-fence near Coober Pedy in the far north of
South Australia. The eagle picked up a young red kangaroo, about 1 metre
tall, and took it up maybe 20 metres into the air, then dropped it.
After which it then dived down onto the roo, and 'finished it off',

and...

Seeing a Peregrine Falcon stoop at tremendous speed onto a flock of
Black Ducks on a lagoon near Morgan, on the Murray River, and pluck a
duck off the surface, carrying it high up into the air, and off to its
lair.

Life in the raw...

--
  Grant Cowell