birding-aus

St Helens "good weather" pelagic bird trip. Update

Subject: St Helens "good weather" pelagic bird trip. Update
From: Ian May <>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 09:54:01 +1000
Hi all

I am pleased to confirm that the proposed week of pelagic bird trips from St Helens Tasmania, to be held over the period 20 July to 26 July 2006 is proceeding. At this point in time we have four definite and two probable starters. The charter operator is keen and is prepared to do the trip as a one off with less than his normal minimum of 8, hoping that word of mouth may help future business.

I have chartered a 60' aluminium star boat and it will be available for our use during the week. The boat has been contracted for three separate day trips to the continental shelf during the week at any time that suits us with our objective to choose best weather conditions from the current forecast. Marine departures from St Helens are anticipated at first light, approx. 7.00 am. and returning to about 3-4.00 pm on each occasion. During sea trips, breakfast and lunch will be provided by way of cut sandwich selections, fruit, coffee, tea and light beverages.

Accommodation will be provided from the evening of Thur 20 July to evening of Tuesday 25 July, 6 nights inclusive. The units are modern comfortable and roomy 3 bedroom units and include self contained cooking and clothes washing facilities. Each person will have their own private room and each unit shared by up to three.

Additional to the pelagic trips, we will be visiting a variety of good birding locations around St Helens where many of the Tassie endemics and other birds of interest are likely. We would decide on locations based on a consensus of individual preferences, species wish lists, habitat access and weather etc.

St Helens is located on the east coast of Tasmania, its geographic location provides excellent shelter from westerly ocean swells and wind during winter. The continental shelf is only 10 Nm off shore being less than 1 hour sailing time from St Helens. Although cold in July, its often sunny and calm with masses of pelagic birds probably also seeking the shelter and abundance of food that the location provides. St Helens is a great place for winter pelagic birding, almost any of the southern species could occur here and it should be a good week.

We still have two definite vacancies so if anyone else is interested please contact me for a reservation. The cost of the week as described is $1490.00 each. Participants need to confirm by June 30 to secure the accommodation please.
Please don't hesitate to contact me for further info.

Regards

Ian May

St Helens, Tasmania

Telstra Mobile  0428 337956