birding-aus

Birding Revelations in Euroka (NSW)

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Birding Revelations in Euroka (NSW)
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:35:39 +1000
I've just got back from a walk in Glenbrook NP, part of the massive Blue
Mountains NP. for those in the know, the circuit from Euroka Clearing,
through to the river, then back via Bennets Ridge. I had to leave the house
after my stereo broke, then my headphones (it's impossible to study without
music) and then the workmen next door decided Tina Turner's 'Best Of' (I
suspect it's short) was appropriate at any volume. I'm glad they did in the
end, because that was one of the most rewarding birding walks I've been on.

I've only really been birding now for about 6 months, but feel that I gained
a big insight today. I'd often wondered how the birders that have been into
it for a while maintain thier interest. Surely once your list passes 3,4,500
the time between new birds must stretch out a long way. But I'm starting to
understand. Walking today through a  track I've done probably 8 times before
I was amazed by the subtle differences. how the species change with the
seasons and micro-climates. And the birding was sensational. A couple of new
birds, a striated pardalote and a possible black chin HE (wouldn't mind some
opinions on this. I didn't get a great look, but remember seeing blue around
the eye). But it was the sightings of familiar birds that were really
excellent. Wandered among the tall bracken fern and was completely
surrounded by a family of Superbs (none in breeding plumage), then WB scrub
wrens and buff-rumped TB's. Great views of all. Then further down the track
a Lyre bird, in superb plumage ran out of the bush and paraded along in
front of me. Binoculars were not necessary. A male rose-robin, again in
stunning plumage landed on a branch near by and sang me a song. I watched a
scrub-wren and a thornbill squabble over a puddle which was particularly
suited to bathing. Isn't it fun watching birds playing in water? Finally I
was followed for quite a while by a very curious Rock Warbler, another bird
I'm familiar with, but have never fully appreciated, until today.

Still no Glossies though, but I'm less worried about that than I used to be.
They'll come.

Evan

--
Evan Beaver