birding-aus

Bowerbirds

Subject: Bowerbirds
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:57:56 +1000
 Hi all,
I am curently staying on a station between Winton and Boulia in Central
Queensland.  This morning we heard strange noises from a tree outside and on
investigating found a brown speckled medium/large bird with a very pale
yellow breast, black eye and solid black beak.  The markings around the eye
were distinctly different above and below the mid line.  I think it might
have been a juvenile (little bit of pink at gape) spotted Bowerbird, but the
breast had no barring or splotches - just plain - more like the
fawn-breasted, which is way out its range, according to the books.  Others
i"ve looked at are great and Western Bowerbirds.   Anyone with better
knowledge on this subject can help?
Elizabeth Shaw
Woodstock Station (temorarily)