birding-aus

Pied Currawongs feeding on Kurrajong seeds

To: "'brian fleming'" <>, <>
Subject: Pied Currawongs feeding on Kurrajong seeds
From: "Gregory Little" <>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:42:48 +1000
Anthea

Brown Kurrajong (Brachychiton populneus) is native tree to eastern
Australia, generally found on the western side of the Great Divide
according to Boland et al, "Forest Trees of Australia". We have a few
growing in the Sugarloaf Ranges near Newcastle, NSW. According to
Cribbs, "Wild Food in Australia" the small seeds can be eaten raw or
roasted and are apparently tasty and nourishing. They can also, it
appears, be used as a coffee substitute. However they do require some
preparation to remove the irritating hairs.

Greg Little