birding-aus

Pardalote holes

To: Birding-aus <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Pardalote holes
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:03:06 +1000
Each year in the winter we have a Spotted Pardalote hanging around for a few weeks calling and checking out the eaves of our house in suburban Canberra.

We have no proof that they nest in the roof of house, but occasionally in the spring we see a Spotted Pardalote zipping around the yard looking furtive, so it's a possibility.

In a few weks we're having the roof replaced, new insultaion, new gutters and fascias, and I'm not sure how this is going to affect the old eaves (whether there will still be little holes for SPs to slip into). We don't have Sparrows, Mynahs or Starlings nesting in the roof, so the holes/gaps, if they exist, must be small.

Does anybody know the correct diameter for a nest hole for a Pardalote, small enough to exclude Sparrows and anything larger? It may be an idea to provide a couple of artificial holes after the renovations.

cheers

--
John Leonard
Canberra