birding-aus

Fraser Island Bird Week - Day 1

To: <>
Subject: Fraser Island Bird Week - Day 1
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 18:22:48 +1000
Hi all

Had a great time last week at the Kingfisher Bay Bird Week on Fraser Island,
met lots of great people, did some fun activities and saw heaps of birds
(and managed to add many new ones to my list!).

Starting off around the resort I got

Pelicans

Scarlet Honeyeaters

Grey Shrike Thrush

Welcome Swallows

White-Cheeked Honeyeaters

Little Pied Cormorants

Little Black Cormorants

Gull Billed Terns

Crested Terns

Rainbow Lorikeets

Sulpher Crested Cockatoo

Lewins Honeyeaters

Osprey

Pied Butcherbird

First activity for the day was a cruise through the RAMSAR area on a small
catamaran, with Mike West and Linda Cross as our guides, the water was glass
flat and the day beautiful and clear (so we had no trouble setting up a
scope on the deck).  The area has a number of small rocky islands and sand
bars. During the trip we saw:

Caspian terns

Bottlenose Dolphins

Beach Stone Curlews (a total of six individuals were seen)

Whimbrels

Brown Goshawk

Australian Hobby

Torressian Crows

Rainbow Lorikeets

Pied Oystercatchers

Sooty Oystercatchers (A new one for me!)

Eastern Curlew

Reef Egret (Dark morph) (A new one for me)

Reef Egret (Light morph) (and again a new one to me)

Sacred Kingfisher

A Hawksbill Turtle

White Bellied Sea-Eagles

Brahminy Kites

A Dugong

Whistling Kites

White Winged Black Terns (another new one for me)

Little Egret

White-Faced Herons

Little Tern

Bar Tailed Godwits

Red Capped Plovers

Grey Tailed Tattlers

Greenshank

Common Tern (yet another new one for me)

Masked Lapwings

Back at the resort after the cruise I got:

Blue Faced Honeyeaters

Bar Shouldered Doves

Grey Fantails

Buff Banded Rail

Rainbow Bee-eaters

Pacific Black Ducks

White Throated Honeyeaters

Red Backed Fairy wrens

Rufus Whistler (female)

Mistletoebird

Forest Kingfisher

Noisy Friar Bird (heard)

During the afternoon and evening I attended presentations by photographers
Graeme Chapman and Darren Leal together with a talk from Michael Morcombe on
distribution maps.

All up a great fun day of birding!

Will report on Day 2 tomorrow.

Thanks