birding-aus

RE: sec: unclas Re: [birding-aus] Black butcherbird attackingsunbird nes

Subject: RE: sec: unclas Re: [birding-aus] Black butcherbird attackingsunbird nests
From: "R Clarke" <>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:00:51 +1000

  Hi Inger,

  As Tania suggested a predator exclusion cage is the way to go if your
  mum really doesn't want to feed the butcherbirds. Basically you need a
  mesh size that allows the sunbirds to pass through without too much
  trouble while preventing access to the butcherbirds. Given the size
  difference between the predator and the prey finding such a mesh
  should be fairly straight forward. Once constructed and placed around
  the nest you'll need to watch closely to ensure that the parent
  sunbirds accept the change and continue visiting the nest. You also
  need to ensure the 'cage' is big enough that the nest sits well beyond
  the reach of a persistent butcherbird that may still reach in through
  the mesh. Variants of predator exclusion cages have been used with
  some success to protect nests of a range of threatened species around
  the world.

  Cheers,

  Rohan Clarke