birding-aus

Stopping window strike- help

Subject: Stopping window strike- help
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:48:41 +1000
Could you put fly-wire screens on all your windows?
Cheers,
Merrilyn

 wrote:
Hi
Just picked up a dead Red-browed Finch underneath one of our windows the other
day, this make three in the last six months.  Silvereyes have also been
pounding into the upper story windows over the last couple of weeks (no deaths
recorded).  One of the most tragic losses was one of our resident Brown-cuckoo
Doves, who we found in a ball of feathers.  A Crested Shrike-tit about a month
ago looked very disheveled after colliding with one of the windows early one
morning.

Most of the collisions seem to occur in the morning.  It seems that most of the
local birds have learnt to keep away (maybe from experience).  It seems that
migrating birds and strangers to the area more often make the mistake??

We never wash our windows
I have tried various distraction methods and have considered netting the
windows. I also noticed on the web that a product is available in America that
you can stick to the window, that the birds can see but is transparent to us.
It relies on birds ability to see ultra violet light where we cant.  It comes
in various shapes.

Has anybody used this product? Does It work?

Does anybody have any better ideas? Ones that actually work.
Covering all the windows with newspaper or chopping down all the trees is not
really an option.

cheers

mike

Manyana on the south coast of NSW