birding-aus

Chinese Pond Heron on Cocos Island

Subject: Chinese Pond Heron on Cocos Island
From: "R Clarke" <>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 17:50:30 +1000

  Hi Alastair,

  It has some breeding plumage as Mike described it as having chestnut
  on the head but as to how much I am not sure. There have been at least
  three previous pond herons reported from Christmas Island over the
  years but this is the first one to be identified to species level as
  all others have been in non-breeding plumages. When like that it is
  virtually impossible to separate Chinese from Javan and Indian Pond
  Herons. I suspect there have been less strikingly plumaged birds that
  Mike has twitched (Isabelline Wheatear is one that springs to mind)
  but if he is anything like me a new bird for your Australian list can
  never be boring :)

  Cheers,

  Rohan Clarke