birding-aus

Sunbirds

To: <>
Subject: Sunbirds
From: "Lloyd Nielsen" <>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:58:01 +1000
It is my guess that the Sunbirds turning up in New South Wales hundreds of
kilometres south of their usual range have been transported by truck.

There is a huge amount of produce transported from north-east Queensland to
the southern cities, especially to Sydney and Melbourne. As an example, the
Innisfail area grew about 90% of Australia's bananas up until cyclone Larry,
with several million cartons being transported south each year. A lot of
nurseries transport tropical plants to the southern cities. Sunbirds
frequently enter garages, carports, sheds and similar structures looking for
sites to build nests - they often nest right through the year. I have seen
nests within enclosed patios where the house owners have had to leave the
doors open for the birds' continued access. The birds would very easily
enter a covered truck and if the doors were shut while a bird was inside, it
would be transported along with the produce.

I would think the chance of a number of single birds turning up in various
locations in NSW on their own accord would be extremely remote.

Lloyd Nielsen

Mt Molloy  Nth Qld