birding-aus

SE Melbourne: Western Gerygone in Bayside

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: SE Melbourne: Western Gerygone in Bayside
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:03:11 +1000
Hi all

I have looked at books and at photos on the web and am pretty sure that the
brown-thornbill-sized bird I saw on the Sandringham Golf Course yesterday
(29.4.06) was a Western Gerygone.

That's from distribution and the plumage pattern (especially the marks round
the eyes).  The lighting was difficult and may have affected how I saw the
colours,

From a check on Birding-Aus Western Gerygone is more likely as it has been
recorded in the colder months at Woodlands Historic Park (aka Gellibrand
Park) in the 1999 (Lawrie Conole) and 2005 (Dean Ingersen) and at Langwarrin
in 1996 (Sean Dooley - I love the book, wish I had time to read it!).

Also Barbara Salter recorded it in or over her local Tulip St. garden
somewhere between 1954 and 1968.  That was about 200m from where I saw this
bird.

On the other hand Simon Mustoe saw a Brown Gerygone at the Fern Tree Gully
NP in October 2004. The pictures in the Pizzey/Knight guide are also
consistent with some of my glimpses of the bird.

Perhaps there were two Gerygone species!

I'm happy to try to find an hour or so to take others to the spot.

Michael Norris
0400 178 199