birding-aus

Scarlet-chested Parrots are back at Gluepot! - Update

To: <>
Subject: Scarlet-chested Parrots are back at Gluepot! - Update
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:08:26 +0930
Hi all,

This morning I saw 6 Scarlet-chested Parrots at Birds Australia Gluepot
Reserve ('Gluepot'). Two of them were brilliant males, one immature male and
three females. I was at the site at 7:10am and walked around the general
area where they have been sighted lately, and at 8:10am the parrots turned
up. They came out of the mallee/spinifex ridge on the northern side of the
track, about 100m west of the Whistler tank 'carpark' (note - walking access
only), and landed on the ground which is bare in between low shrubby bushes.
I watched (and video'ed) them for 15-20 minutes feeding inconspicuously on
the ground, apparently unaware of my presence, but when a Brown Treecreeper
discovered me and started making alarm calls, the parrots retreated back
into the mallee/spinifex ridge for a little while, after which they returned
to the same spot to feed again.

The site can be accessed from the visitor centre at Gluepot, it's about a
2.5 km walk, and quite a pleasant one with other interesting birds along the
track this morning being Gilberts Whistler, Southern Scrubrobin, Chestnut
Quail-thrush and lots of honeyeater activity.
The road into Gluepot is currently inaccessible for 2WD's - I counted over
10 large puddles along the way before the actual reserve entrance, and the
situation is worse within the reserve.

I have put a 1.5 min video clip on my website (url below) as well as some
photos. The males must be without a doubt the most beautiful parrots I've
seen so far!

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia