birding-aus

Another Thomas & Thomas site still working

Subject: Another Thomas & Thomas site still working
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:53:10 +1000
I am still amazed at how well the old Thomas & Thomas "Complete Guide to finding birds in Australia" still works for tracking down certain species. I have just come back from a very rushed trip to Mildura for a few days, but gave myself enough time to get down to the Nowingi Track Striated Grasswren site in Hattah-Kulkyne NP. I had been here in 199, and had seen Mallee Emu-wren, but had missed the Grasswren (heard only). I had only given myself about half an hour at 3PM in the afternoon, so I wasn't expecting much success. However after about 15 minutes heard a faint squeak, took about 5 steps and then came across a single Grasswren. As usual with this genus it then happened to scurry from spinifex clump to clump and so never got great views, but there was no doubt about the ID. Ny the time I got back to the car the only other species seen were Yellow-plumed HE, Grey Butcherbird, White-browed Woodswallow, Grey Currawong and a Swallow (probably White-backed, but I was concentrating on the Grasswren).

Otherwise, heard White-fronted Honeyeater on the Old Calder Highway, and what I thought was going to be a single Regent Parrot flying over the Murray River bank in Mildura, turned out to be a single (escapee) Indian Ringneck.

Cheers,
Peter