birding-aus

Invitation to identify a couple of Tattlers

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Invitation to identify a couple of Tattlers
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:30:26 +1000
Calling all Tattler-twitchers,

In the wake of the recent discussion on Birding-Aus re the difficulties in separating the two species of Tattlers I have been asked by a (mystery) 'local' birdo to display a couple of his/her photos of Tattlers on a web-page.

The two images are of two different birds and were obtained recently at a location in South East Queensland.

The two birds were in close proximity to each other but not together as part of
an obvious 'group'.

The two birds were positively identified by the observers but, in the light of the Birding-Aus discussion, the observers of those two birds feel that these images could provide a test of the Tattler IDing skills of many birdwatchers in Australia.

I have placed the two images on two linked web-pages starting at:

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/inglisrc/idthetattler01.htm

(Note: The image files and the images themselves are fairly large and may take a minute or two to download on a dial-up connection. It was felt necessary to use such large images to provide reasonably high quality images for this exercise.)

Please look at the images and, if you are game, send your comments to me at:

After a reasonable time period I will post a comment to Birding-Aus revealing the true identifications with the observers' reasons why.

I anticipate that I will receive a number of responses and therefore, as it can be quite time consuming answering each individual response, I will include in my Birding-Aus posting an acknowledgement of those responses and a brief summary of the responses I receive. I will do my best not to embarrass anyone in my final comments. Maybe.

(Note: If anyone does not want their name mentioned [even if they get it right]
please let me know.)

Good luck.

Bob Inglis

Sandstone Point