birding-aus

Field Guides, Song CDs, Guide Books

To: <>
Subject: Field Guides, Song CDs, Guide Books
From: "Drew Fulton" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:47:24 -0400
Hey Everybody,
    Still working on planning for my upcoming year and have a few questions.  I
am looking for your recomendations for a couple field guides for Australia.  I
currently have Pizzey and Knights field guide which has been helpful for me to
get familiar with Australian birds but I would love to have a couple different
ones for comparison.  Any suggestions?  I have heard good things about the
Princeton guide but am open to suggestions.
    Also, I don't even know where to start on bird song cds.  Any collections
that are particularly good?  I am starting from scratch here.
    Third, any suggestions for recent Bird Finding Guides?  I have Turner and
Turner as well as Bransbury's Where to Find Birds in Australia which is a bit
old.  How accurate is Turner and Turner?  Have there been a lot of changes in
bird distribution or specific spots since it was written?  Any other good ones
to suggest?
    Finally, I would be interested in any good general books on Australia,
natural history, field guides for other taxa, etc, etc.  Is there any resource
that tells a bit about the different habitats that includes some pictures.  As
I am reading and researching I often am struggling to picture the different
types of forests and stuff because I have zero expereince with the various
Eucalyptus varieties.
    Alright, thats a lot but I probably will have more questions in the
upcoming weeks.  I am really getting excited.

Thanks!

Drew