birding-aus

Over 7000 honeyeaters per hour

To: "Colin Driscoll" <>, <>
Subject: Over 7000 honeyeaters per hour
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:34:46 +1000
Colin and all,

They generally fly north through the Blue Mountains albeit by a slightly convoluted route which seems to be determined by topography and weather. Over my street this morning they were appearing from the south then turning east or north-east around the head of an amphitheatre. On some mornings they fly straight over my house, northwards, and at other times they go more towards the west. As far as I can tell these are all just small-scale fluctuations and part of the general autumn northward movement.

I cannot explain the south-westerly flight direction at Lake Macquarie, without knowing that area well.

Here in Katoomba a very good place to watch them is on Narrow Neck, a long narrow peninsula dividing the Jamison and Megalong Valleys on the southern side of town. The honeyeaters come up onto the plateau at some point distant from the township and then follow the clifftops northwards. Wherever the peninsula narrows to an isthmus the birds are funnelled into a narrow pathway. For example this happens at a point just beyond the Golden Stairs walking track head - on a good day you can stand on the rocks beside the road at the bottom of the steep paved hill and watch them streaming past. These are possibly the same flocks that fly over my street a few kilometres further on. Then again "my" birds might come up from the valley at Katoomba Falls. I think the only way to accurately map their routes would be to have an army of people at various points on the ground at the same time on a good migration day, or else a few people madly tearing around the bush following the flocks (I've tried this myself with limited success)!

It's all so fascinating and mysterious.

cheers

Carol